 |
Fairmont Toastmasters Club From Good to Great!
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Elias Peer Guest
|
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:41 pm Post subject: Icebreaker Speech --Oh Canada! |
|
|
Does any one among you have two birthdays? I do. An official birthday as per records and an actual birthday. The school Principal in my lower primary school - had the courtesy to grant me one more birthday. He would admit me to the current academic year only if I was born before June, so my official birth month in May. It would be amazing to know that many people in India have their official birthday in the month of May. My actual birth month is in November . Finally here I am, a Perfect Scorpio, born on November 4th, totally confused to tell my actual birthday.
I was born and raised in a little province in the southern tip of the Indian subcontinent named Kerala. Ancient Kerala occupied a unique place in the commercial world. The teak found in the ruins of Ur must certainly have come from the Malabar Coast of kerala. This means trade flourished around 3000 BC. It was reputed to be the ancient world's greatest trading centre in the East for such highly prized possessions as pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and other spices. Most of the spices you find in an Indian recipe is still being still cultivated on the mountainous areas of Kerala.
Kerala is a state with vast diversities.Many religions around the world came along with the traders. Same do with Kerala. The Christians arrived from the Middle East in the 1st century AD and the Muslims arrived in the 8th century. The Jews who arrived Kerala in the early years of the Christian era were given privileges to trade and became an influential part of the melting pot of Kerala's population. Europeans came in 14 Century and it will be intresting to know that Christopher Columbus accidentally discovered America when he was he was trying to find a new route to India along the tip of Africa to have a better trade advantage for the Spices from Kerala.
The summer days are long and humid. You think 3 months of Snow is unbearable, imagine the six moths of heavy rainfall. By early June the southwest monsoon breaks and there are three months of wind and water with short spells of sharp, glittering sunshine. The School year starts in June so I had lot of fun as a child to enjoy my life in this wet and rainy days. Because of the water the land became fertile and Kerala has more than 44 rivers to drain all those water to Arabian Sea. The population is a mixed of Hindus, Christens and Muslims. Although religious riots are common in other parts of India it never occurred in Kerala may be because of the 100 % literacy rate. Literacy is great thing folks in third world countries where more thanes half of the population do not know how to read and write so are being exploited.. National geographic traveler classifies Kerala as one of 50 travel destinations you should travel.
I was born and raised in this small province. After my primary education at the age of 9 , I was admitted to a boarding defense school away from home. My dream then was to become a defense personnel and serve the nation. Initially being at school made me home sick, But thanks to the teachers and the school, which, made me, what I am today. They made us to do things in a right and a better way .The school also taught me a great lesson- to have courage and to put that first step forward. That finally made me up here in Toronto standing in front of you. Life in school molded me a lot. It made me understand that there is a world, outside my defense dreams, which, is equally good and promising. When I got through the Engineering program my parents advised me to join the Computer curriculum and I had no clue what it was then. Now also I am trying to figure that out . After completion of my education I decided to stay in my native place and enjoyed the life as an employed bachelor. I was pretty happy at my work but then my Canadian dream came through. I never imagined that I would qualify as an economic immigrant but the govt of Canada thought other ways so here I am. My parents were worried and still worrying of me going away from home. The pursued me to start a new chapter in my life. . Marriage. I met this girl in a family setup and found that we are compatible enough to start a life together. So six months down the line ,we started a new project in our life. Soon my daughter was born and she became part and parcel of our life.
When I thought of Canada, I thought it was a great county with engineering marvels. Canadian Engineers build the first hydro electricity project in my province. When I reached here I realize that Canada has more than it technical advancements it can offer. I was scared about the cultural difference and social acceptance of me as an Individual here, but as a country it provided me with the needs of life. I kept thinking why there are so many revolving doors for each building and why Young street and Sheppard street are spelt differently than what I learned. I finally realized that it is Great Country with its own mysteries. I am honored and humbled to be part a country with more than 100 cultures which blend and live in harmony Thank you all. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group
|