 |
Fairmont Toastmasters Club From Good to Great!
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Angie Pocock Guest
|
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:24 pm Post subject: Ice Breaker Speech: "My Sister, Jen" |
|
|
My Sister, Jen
Icebreaker Speech By: Angie Pocock
I grew up as the middle child with a younger brother, Steven and my older sister, Jen. Nicknames were always a theme in our house. Jen was “Jen-Jen” and she couldn’t say Granddad, so our grandfather ended up with a very original nickname, “Dadan”. I couldn’t pronounce my brothers name, and as a result, he got the nickname “Teagie”.
As we got older and more creative, my sister gave me the nickname, “Ape-Face”. Sounds pretty mean. Jen teased me immensely. I remember her successfully bringing me to tears at least every other day. My only refuge would be to run crying to my mother - which only gave Jen the opportunity to tease me even more. Our Mom was very tolerant of the sibling rivalry. Probably because she too, grew up with a younger brother and an older sister. She would always tell Jen and I that one day, we’d be the best of friends. I refused to believe such a statement, knowing there was no way this wicked girl and I would ever get along.
Sure enough, we would occasionally have out “sister” moments. She would stick up for me and include me in games and other fun activities. It was times like these when Jen would put her leadership skills to work. She was quick to tell me what to do and how to do it. I was always learning new way to share my toys and dolls with Jen.
We were lucky enough to each have our own room. I remember a few times we’d get bored with our surroundings and agree to change rooms for a month or so. We’d spend an entire weekend emptying our closets and dressers. We’d make a big mess moving furniture around just to experience a few weeks in one another’s room.
Growing up with Jen definitely had its ups and downs. She was the wild child who was constantly challenging authority. By the time I was in my teens, I really couldn’t do any wrong. Jen had done it all. Her ‘beyond the pale’ attitude successfully paved the way for my brother and I. Something she still likes to get credit for. In high school, Jen was really popular. She was so well liked and admired and she had lots of friends. The transition for me was easy. I was always Jen Pocock’s little sister. I’m thankful for that because I’m usually very shy.
When it comes to personality, Jen and I are truly different. I’m more like my Dad. We’re able to keep our emotions under control and like to observe our surroundings. Jen, on the hand, is an extrovert, like our mother. Two outgoing personalities with strong opinions. Watching these two argue when Jen was in her rebellious phase used to really upset me. Neither of them would back down, and of course, neither of them were ever wrong. Today, we joke about these heated moments.
Jen and I really started to get along when I moved out of the house to study in Ottawa. I think for us it’s true what they say – that you appreciate and love your family more when you don’t live together.
Jen’s grown up to be an extraordinary woman. I admire and respect her. She still has that fun, relaxed outlook on life, but her experiences have matured her. She is not as impulsive as she used to be. I can definitely say she has taught me a lot about myself and about life. I’ve always looked up to Jen for acceptance and advise. In a sister, I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I know I can always depend on her for love and support. Today, she is without questions, my truest and dearest friend. She knows where I’ve been, what hurts me and what motivates me. In recent years, she has often said to me how much she admires and looks up to me. It’s hard to imagine the influence I’ve had on her life.
Last summer, Jen married a wonderful guy named Cameron. It was bitter sweet for me because I had to accept the fact that Cameron was now her number One. I love Cameron like a brother. He fits in so well with our family. When he first started dating Jen, I affectionately gave him the nickname, “Noodle Head Cam”. It wasn’t long after that, he started calling me, “Wangie”. Jen and Cam were meant for each other. Their relationship is based on love and respect. They keep each other on their toes and are so happy to have found a life long partner.
Over the holidays, Jen and Cam announced they are expecting Baby #1 this summer. My parents couldn’t be happier as this will be their first grandchild. I for one am thrilled about becoming an Aunt. Jen and Cam are adamant about not finding out the sex of the baby until it is born. Whether it’s a boy or a girl, I’ve already given it the nickname, “Chaos”. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group
|