 |
Fairmont Toastmasters Club From Good to Great!
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Luke Tucker Guest
|
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 pm Post subject: Icebreaker Speech "Who am I?" |
|
|
Luke Tucker: Icebreaker Speech "Who am I?" (Feb 23, 2005)
Introduction:
Luke Tucker is Manager of Networks in the technology department.
4 Years with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Previously worked for Bell Canada
Goal: to overcome fear of Speaking, and captivate an audience
Speech Script:
Mr Toastmaster, colleagues, welcome guest,
Who am I?
Have you ever had the opportunity to describe yourself to someone over the phone? I had that opportunity a few times, the most recent, was in California. I was being picked up at the Airport by a client; he wanted to know how he would recognize me.
My reply was look for a Black man wearing a white shirt… for a moment the phone went very silent…there was a long pause. I supposed he was not accustom to someone describing themselves as being BLACK.
On another occasion I was in the Ajax Mall, this was about 15 years ago, there were not too many Blacks living in Ajax at the time. There came a little boy and his Mom, they were both white. Upon seeing me, the innocent little boy, pointed to his Mom and said:
‘Mom, there is a Black man”, his mom was so embarrass, she quickly covered his mouth, and started to apologized to me. I immediately assured her that there was no harm done, and that her little boy was correct in referring to me as a Black Man.
My friends, my name is Luke Tucker, a proud Black man. I am the father of three proud black Boys. Currently, I am the Manager of Networks in the technology department. I have been with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts for almost 4 years. I previously worked for Bell Canada in their IP department, also worked as a network consultant for a short period of time. Educated at Seneca College and York University. I was born in Jamaica, and Immigrated to Canada as a small boy. Now a Canadian Citizen. In politically correct terms, I would be referred to as an African Canadian.
Hobbies: Soccer, Basketball, Body Building and hanging out with my kids.
I have been coaching soccer for over 10 Years
I know some people might be uncomfortable with using the work BLACK when talking with someone of that race. Therefore, in order to dispel some of the negative connotations, pertaining to the work Black… I will make reference to a few prominent and proud BLACK people.
Mr. Colin Powell
Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell made history when he became the first Black American to hold the distinguished position in 2000, under President George W. Bush.
Miss Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her city bus seat to a white man eventually, led to the Supreme Court law declaring segregation on public buses illegal.
MR. Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela, led the fight against apartheid in South Africa for more than 63 years. As president of the African National Congress, Mandela was arrested and spent nearly 30 years in jail for the cause, then eventually became President of South Africa.
Mr. Lincoln Alexander is the first black cabinet minister in Canada, later serving as lieutenant-governor of Ontario.
Harry Jerome
Long before Ben Johnson or Donovan Bailey, Harry Jerome was Mr. Canada and the world's fastest man and one of our best-known athletes. He won a bronze medal at the 1964 Olympics, and gold at the 1966 Commonwealth Games. His first world record was a 10-second flat 100-metre sprint.
Friends, these are just a few prominent proud black individuals, who were not ashamed to be Black. I could talk about many more…
So next time someone on the other end of the phone, mentions the words ‘Black Man or woman’ do not pause, but remember that they are a proud people and we are no different from any other race. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
The names "Toastmasters International", "Toastmasters" and the Toastmasters International emblem are trademarks protected in the United States, Canada and other countries where Toastmasters Clubs exist. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2007 phpBB Group
|